Monday, July 25, 2005

Julia and the Volcano

So while trying to save the world, I'm also trying to save my sanity.
One way to do this? Climb the Philippines' most active volcano!

I joined five other Peace Corps volunteers -- all girls! -- this past weekend for a hike up the "perfect cone" of Mount Mayon, one of the most beautiful volcanoes in the world. It sits just about an hour from Donsol in the province of Albay and I marvel at it every time I ride the Filcab or Jeepney into the big city of Legaspi.

I got a chance to see it up close in personal this weekend as we climbed up halfway, camped out and continued nearly to the top. It's a steep and rocky climb and steamy at the top. No worries though. The last eruption was five years ago...but it's still smoldering in there, nonetheless.

We were led by guides, climbed up a sheer face of volcanic rock and through jungle paths. We braved downpours and even a flash flood. But we pulled through it with only a few scratches and a little soreness a couple of days later.

Here's a couple of links to photos (you have to sign in to view them on Kodak Gallery) and a few of my own:

View Dede's photos

View Lisa's photos

It's a long way up from here!

Me, soaked on the rocks at Mount Mayon

Another gorgeous view

After a downpour, the trail got a little flooded

Me, taking a rest on the second day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home